Terms & Conditions
Welcome to Freeview!
Freeview is a service that allows consumers to access a variety of channels and content services. The Freeview On Demand (HbbTV) platform and Freeview On Demand App on a Smart TV, set top box or mobile device allows users to watch content on demand from TVNZ, ThreeNow, Māori Television, Radio New Zealand and any other on demand content provider who joins the Freeview platform.
This Freeview Limited ("Freeview") website is protected by copyright. You may print out individual articles or pages for your private use but no form of distribution or making available to the public (whether in print or electronic form) of any of this website's content is permitted. This copyright includes the Freeview logo which may not be copied, replicated, or used for any purpose without the appropriate licence being obtained from Freeview.
Copyright in some of the content included in the website is held by its suppliers. These include Freeview's broadcast partners and various digital reception equipment manufacturers.
The listings of programmes are protected by copyright owned by TVNZ, Mediaworks, Māori Television Service, Radio New Zealand, and other broadcasters. None of the listings of programmes to be broadcast may be reproduced by any means without the express permission of these companies.
Website Access Conditions
This website contains links to third party sites. However, as monitoring the information disseminated and accessible through those third party site links is impracticable, such information cannot be guaranteed to be accurate or up to date. Freeview takes no responsibility for its accuracy.
Any views or opinions expressed by advertisers or contributors in this site are not necessarily the views of Freeview.
You acknowledge that neither Freeview, nor its suppliers or distributors guarantee or warrant the accuracy, completeness, merchantability or fitness for any particular purpose of any information on the website. You agree that neither Freeview nor its suppliers or service providers shall be liable to you for any loss or injury whether direct or indirect arising out of or caused by the use of any information on the website.
The use of this website and these conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of New Zealand. Any legal action arising out of its use shall be brought and enforced under the laws of New Zealand. By using this site, you agree to submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of New Zealand.
Who Can Use Freeview?
To use Freeview you need a device that is compatible with Freeview. See Freeview approved products here to check if your device is Freeview compatible. These devices are available at all good appliance stores or online.
Registrating An Account
You need to provide true and accurate information on registration, or we may not be able to provide Freeview, or parts of it, to you.
You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of any passwords and log-in details and for all activities that occur under your account. Please let us know if there has been any unauthorised use of your account.
We may terminate your Freeview account or access at any time, for any reason, or on at least 30 days' notice at any time. You can cancel your Freeview account at any time by contacting us on 0800 FREEVIEW (0800 373 384).
Third Party Sites
Freeview contains links and access to services, channels, content, apps and sites that are not ours, but are owned and operated by Third Parties (Third Party Sites).
We have not reviewed all of the Third Party Sites, or their terms and conditions, and we are not responsible for:
A) anything available or offered on any Third Party Site, including any content, advertising, products or service.
B) any dealings or disputes you may have in relation to any Third Party Site.
We do not endorse or recommend any particular Third Party Site, and we are not liable for any loss or damage which may be suffered as a result of the use of Third Party Sites. We reserve the right to remove a link or access to any Third Party Site from Freeview at any time without notification.
Protecting Younger Users
There is content available on Freeview and Third Party Sites that may not be suitable for younger users. We encourage you to take an active interest in what children under 18 watch and do on Freeview, and when accessing content using your Freeview compatible device or Freeview account; you are responsible for making sure it is suitable for them.
Using Freeview does not give you any rights to Freeview, any part of the Freeview services, anything that is on Freeview (including any content) or any Third Party Site or its content.
All rights, including copyright, trade mark and database rights, on Freeview and its contents, are either owned by us or licensed to us, or by the owners of the Third Party Sites or their licensors, or otherwise used as permitted by applicable law. Except as permitted for your own private use, you must not to access, download, copy, store in any medium (including in any other website), distribute, transmit, re-transmit, broadcast, modify, or show in public any part of the Freeview without our prior written permission.
You can only use Freeview for lawful purposes and in a way which does not infringe the rights of, or restrict or inhibit the use and enjoyment of Freeview by, any third party. You agree not to interrupt or attempt to interrupt the operation of the Freeview in any way. You must not attempt to hack into Freeview in any way, use ad blockers with Freeview, send any bugs or viruses, steal or interfere with any data or personal information, or infringe any intellectual property rights via accessing Freeview.
When you access certain services on Freeview, you will need the internet and data charges may apply. You are responsible for all your own Internet service charges and Freeview does not accept any responsibility for any charges arising from any data usage or internet charges incurred to use Freeview or any Third Party Sites.
We will try to provide Freeview to you with reasonable care and skill. We do not guarantee Freeview will be uninterrupted or fault free, or secure at all times, or free from any bugs or viruses, or that Freeview will be available at any location or at, or for, any particular time, or not change or be cancelled at any time. To the extent permitted by law, we are not responsible for any loss or damage to any device or other property if it gets a bug or virus, or is otherwise impacted, from accessing Freeview.
Freeview andour related companies, shareholders, licensors, service providers, content providers and our and their employees, agents, officers and directors, are not liable for any loss or damage that might result from anyone using Freeview, other than any liability that cannot be excluded by law.
We may terminate, suspend access to, or discontinue all or any aspect of Freeview, at any time.
New Zealand Law
What Information Do We Collect?
When you use Freeview, register to use our services or download and use our apps, we (and our service providers on our behalf) may collect information about you and those people, and information about how you are using Freeview, our sites, apps, Third Party Sites and any other services we may provide.
We collect various personal information, technical and general information, including:
- Personal details you give us by filling in forms on our site (like when you register for Freeview, or enter a competition) such as your name, email, contact details.
- Records of any communication between us, and how you communicate with others.
- Details of when, how, and from where you visit and use Freeview, our apps and our services, what services you used, what you look at, what Third Party Sites and content you accessed and consumed, what apps you downloaded, and how you got there (For example, if you clicked through an email we have sent you or via an online advertisement).
- Device, hardware and software information like your IP address, operating system and browser type that you use to access Freeview, our sites, apps and our services.
How Do We Use Your Information?
We use the information we collect from you or about you to provide Freeview, and our sites, apps and services, to make sure that our services, Third Party Sites and content is relevant and provided to you in the best way for you and the devices you use, and to let you know about things we think will be of interest to you.
We, and our approved Third Parties and suppliers, may use and store your information for the following purposes:
- To give you a great Freeview experience: We use what we know about you to improve the way we deliver Freeview, Third Party Sites and our services to you. For example, to make recommendations or display content or Third Party Sites we think you'll liked, to let you save your favourite settings and shows, and to help you access and watching Third Party Sites. We also use it, and share with Third Party Sites, for the purpose of providing Freeview and our services to you, and to enhance your Freeview user experience. For example, we may share information with our Third Party Sites about what content you consume on their sites using Freeview, and in accordance with their own privacy policies, so they can make recommendations or display their content they think you may like.
- To communicate with you and support your use of Freeview: We use your details to let you know about changes and updates to Freeview, Third Party Sites, and our other sites or services, to provide technical support, or to reply to any questions you have.
- To make Freeview better: We use your information to look at site traffic, analyse trends and it generally helps us build a bigger picture of how Freeview is working and being used. These insights are important because they help us to make the site better for you, Third Party Sites and our advertisers.
- To provide other services to you: Now and then we might need to use your information to run a competition or poll you've entered or for another specific service (e.g. games on the site). In those cases there might be some additional terms around how we need to use your information which we will make clear at the time of entry.
We only keep your information while it is useful for personalising your Freeview experience or delivering services to you. We may hold and use personal information about you and your household and contact you for a reasonable period after you have stopped using Freeview or de-registered from Freeview. We will only hold and use personal information for as long as we legally entitled to.
We may also keep other information, including how you've used Freeview, on an anonymous basis. If you register for Freeview; you will be assigned a 'unique identifier' that we may use in place of your personal information. It allows us to keep your personal details safe while collecting information about how you use Freeview.
How Do Third Party Sites Use My Information?
Freeview contains links to and from Third Party Sites and other sites that aren't controlled by us. If you follow a link to any of these sites, it is important to know that they have their own privacy policies. Freeview doesn't accept any responsibility or liability for anyone else's policies, services or for any transactions that you enter into with them.
Where is your information stored? Your information is stored securely by approved Third Party Suppliers under contract to Freeview and is stored in Australia.
How can I access my information? You have the right to see the personal information we hold about you, and to ask us to correct any personal information about you that is incorrect or out-of-date. if you would like access to your personal information, please contact us at 0800 FREEVIEW / 0800 373 384.
OTHER FREEVIEW TERMS & CONDITIONS
Retailer and Installer Directories
Freeview provides on its website a list of retailers who have been accredited to use the Freeview logo in association with selling Freeview certified consumer equipment.Freeview is not responsible for and does not warrant products sold by these retailers.
Freeview has offered space on its website to TV aerial and satellite dish installation companies to help the public find an installer that suits their individual requirements. Freeview is not responsible for and does not warrant the products and services offered by these installers.
Freeview Competition Terms and Conditions
- These terms and conditions together with any specific rules set out in Competition Notice (as defined below) are the Competition Rules ("Rules") and apply to competitions included on the www.freeviewnz.tv website ("Competition"), unless otherwise expressly stated. By entering a Competition, entrants agree to be bound by these Rules.
- Rules specific to each Competition are displayed in a notice included on the www.freeviewnz.tv website posting for such Competition ("the Competition Notice ") and are incorporated herein. In the event of discrepancy between these terms and conditions and the Competition Notice, the Competition Notice shall prevail.
- Freeview Limited ("Freeview") reserves the right to cancel or amend the Competition, the Competition Notice or these Rules at any time without prior notice. Any changes will be posted either within the Competition Notice or these Rules.
- In the event of any dispute regarding the Rules, Competition Notice, conduct, results and all other matters relating to a Competition, the decision of Freeview shall be final and no correspondence or discussion shall be entered into.
- To qualify to enter the Competition you must be resident in New Zealand.
- Employees of Freeview or any company involved in the Competition or any advertising agency or web company connected with Freeview or any such persons subsidiary or associated companies, agents or members of their families or households, are not eligible to enter the Competition. Freeview reserves the right to verify the eligibility of all entrants.
- Additional eligibility requirements may apply to a specific Competition, eg a valid passport, visas and/or drivers licence will be required if the Competition is a car or includes travel outside New Zealand and/or car hire.
- By entering the Competition, you hereby warrant that all information submitted by you is true, current and complete.
- Freeview reserves the right to disqualify any entrant if it has reasonable grounds to believe the entrant has breached any of these terms and conditions.
- In the event that any entrant is disqualified from the Competition, Freeview in its sole discretion may decide whether a replacement should be selected. In this event, any further entrant will be selected on the same criteria as the original entrant and will be subject to these Rules.
- Only one entry per person per Competition is allowed and multiple entries will result in an entrant being disqualified. Where a winner has been selected and Freeview discovers or has reasonable grounds to believe the winner has made more than one entry, Freeview reserves the right to select an alternative winner. Any further entrant will be selected on the same criteria as the original entrant and will be subject to these Rules.
- Competition entries must be made in the manner and by the closing date specified on the Competition Notice. Failure to do so will disqualify the entry.
- Proof of posting or emailing cannot be accepted as proof of delivery. Freeview cannot accept responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft, destruction, alteration of, or unauthorised access to entries, or entries lost or delayed whether or not arising during operation or transmission as a result of server functions, virus, bugs or other causes outside its control.
- Entrants should note that unless stated otherwise, Freeview does not accept responsibility for the return of any Competition entries, including those consisting of artistic or other material.
- You must answer all questions on the Competition form to be eligible.
- Competition participants (" Competitors ") must be 17 years of age or more.
- The Competitors biographical details and names and photographs and audiovisual recordings of the Competitors may be used for publicity purposes in all media by Freeview and Competitors agree that they must make themselves available for this purpose.
- Freeview reserves the right to conduct security verification checks in relation to the prize winner at its absolute discretion. The prize winner may be required to sign a declaration confirming eligibility to accept the prize.
- The prize winner is advised that tax implications may arise from prize winnings and independent financial advice should be sought prior to acceptance of the prize.
- Prize winners will be notified in the manner and within the time specified on the Competition Notice. Return of any prize notification as undeliverable or failure to reply as specified in the notification within the time stated therein may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner. If more than one prize is awarded only one prize per entrant will be awarded.
- Claims for prizes must be made in the manner and within the time specified on the Competition Notice. Failure to claim a prize within this time or in the manner specified may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner.
- Prizes are non-transferable and there is no cash alternative. Freeview reserves the right to substitute prizes of equal or greater value at any time.
- All taxes, insurances, transfers, spending money and other expenses (including meals or personal expenses, upgrades, etc) as the case may be, unless specifically stated, are the sole responsibility of the prize winner.
- If for any reason this Competition is not capable of running as planned including, but not limited to infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorised intervention, fraud, technical failures or any other causes beyond the control of Freeview which corrupts or affects the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the Competition, Freeview reserves the right in its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Competition.
- To the full extent permitted by law, Freeview will not be liable to the winner in respect of any claim for any loss, damage or injury whatsoever (including, without limitation, any consequential, indirect, special, punitive or incidental damages) or for any physical or mental injury suffered by the winner or friend as a result of or in connection with the Competition or by reason of the utilisation or application of any prize won in the Competition.
- Freeview respects privacy rights under the Privacy Act 1993 and is required to comply with the privacy principles in respect of the collection of personal information from individuals.
- Facebook: Where the Competition is run via Facebook, the Competition is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Facebook has no liability in connection with the Competition, and any information you provide in connection with the Competition is provided to Freeview and/or the Competition Sponsors, not to Facebook.
- These terms and conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of New Zealand and shall be subject to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of New Zealand courts.